Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Making a home made candle

My power has been out for a few days and the store by my house had a shady man standing outside it telling people it was closed. Also, all the blinds in the window of the bank were closed. . . hmmmm. The point is, I was unable to purchase candles the other day (meaning Friday). I went home to my dark tent, and decided to lite to 1/4 inch of candle I had left. Which lit perfectly. Then I thought to myself, I can add wood shavings to the candle to make it burn longer like in the stove. So I did, and it saved the candle from burning out. Hooray!!!

So, about 5 minutes later another thought popped into my head, if wood works for "candles", wouldn't the teeniest, tiniest bit of coal also work? So I put a teeny, tiny piece of coal on the wood shavings, and  . . . nothing happened. Oh well, I thought, back to sitting in my chair doing nothing.

About 7 minutes later I heard a 'pop' sound and saw my candle was a blazin'.


30 seconds after I took this picture, the plate under the candle shattered. This made me think the candle was a bit out of control. Time to put some water on it.

Have you ever put water on a tiny coal fire? Um . . . DON'T! I put two drops on it and a fire ball shot to the ceiling. Normally, this wouldn't be as scary, but when your house is made out of wood and cloth, . . . well, naughty words are said at a loud volume, as I lunged towards the cupboard where my fire extinguisher is.

Luckily it was just a tiny fire ball and nothing else caught on fire. Unfortunately there was still the problem of the 'out of control' home made candle who was, apparently, resistant to water.

I thought, Well, this all started because I was thinking about the stove fires, Oooo, I'll put it in the stove! I took the biggest plate piece and, ever so carefully, dumped it into the stove fire.

On Saturday morning, I went and bought actual candles.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment