Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

International Women's Day

As most international holidays in America, I thought this was just printed letters on the calendar. No sirree-bob. Women's Day is a national holiday in Mongolia with the day off work. It also called for some celebration.

When I arrive at work, I was slightly confused as to why my lady counter part was dressed in a spiffy outfit with a fancy face and hair, I thought maybe it's a self-esteem day, and started my day. Then, around lunch time, a line started to form in the hallway outside my door. All female, and all spiffy and fancy. Coincidence? No, these particular ladies are conspirators. And they were motioning me to join them ... why thank.

As I was lovingly shoved into the correct position in line in order to properly spoon the lady in front of me (normal queuing in Mongolia), I got all excited because I could see ... presents! Yes presents. What a delightful sight. The men folk were dressed in their, um, Sunday (?) best; full suits, dress shirts and ties. Oh they looked so handsome. They were greeting all the women as they filed into the room with mugs, roses, and smiles. There was a banquet table with a bountiful spread. Lunch was delicious and they even had a cake. Luckily I was sitting by the cake, so I actually got some. Always positions yourself next to the cake and the fruit, and shamelessly move the bowl of chocolates closer to you. Very important.

Now I have a beautiful mug that, basically, says Happy Women's Day. Z.U.N.E Men. ZUNE is an acronym for Zamiin-Uud First Hospital.

It was a very nice day followed by a three day weekend.    

No comments:

Post a Comment