Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

One Week Down

Hello from Mongolia.

I live with a host family in a house that doesn't have running water. My host family has to bring it into the host in, what looks like, giant gas cans.  There is also an outhouse for a toilet. Very different form my American home.

So far my favorite meal is rice with chopped boiled eggs mixed in it, served with cut up cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots. She puts oil in the veggies, but she doesn't fry them.
 
My "sisters" names are Narah (3 yo) and Tsermaa (17 yo). Narah is just as wild and crazy as the American 3 year olds. She hits her sister and bosses everyone around. She loves to come into my room and play the "What is this?" game, which is also the only Mongolian phrase I don't have to think about what it means. I also found some art work of her's on the walls in my room. Tsermaa is out of school for the summer and reads English well. She is very helpful when trying to get through a conversation. She takes care of Narah during the day.

On Sunday, I went on a walk with my host family and a young male house visitor to the town square. Then They were motioning to me that they were going to take a picture and wanted me in it. So I stood there and then realized that Mongolians don't smile in pictures, or at least not this bunch. So I'm the cheesy American smiling away in this picture. Also they wanted a picture of just me and this teenage boy. I can't figure out if he is their son or nephew. They were really nice and printed me a copy of both pictures.

They taught us some Mongolian games. They play with the ankle bones of sheep/goats. They were really fun. I asked how to get the bones, you know what shop, and my teachers said you get the bones when you buy a sheep and eat him. I don't think I can eat a whole sheep by myself.

Speaking of meat. I've seen herds of horses and camels all along the country side. This country is so pretty. It's hard to picture all dead and covered in snow.

Bonus points to who ever can name the 5 types of meat in Mongolia.

4 comments:

  1. sara, sounds like the adventure of a lifetime, what is the weather like, how big is the town ( village ), where is it in mongolia so I can find you on a map. what else do you eat, do you have electricity, are you learning mongolian. post pictures if you can. :} stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. knowing me I'm probably not writing in the right area of this blog I just read you entry today, and I'm trying to picture you there,man o man what a difference in America where so blessed here. A simple thing like water means so much there and means so little here,but let me tell you I don't run the water while I'm brushing my teeth or doing the dishes for the last 2 years because of this very reason hearing story's like this. Sara hope your happy.Pet any stray dogs hanging around FOR ME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Meats - Sheep, Goat, cattle, horse, camel.
    So...does camel taste just like chicken? Are you able to upload the photos taken? I can't wait to see you don the traditional Mongolian winter attire. Has Narah touched your hair yet? Do they wash their hands before meals? Are you sunburned? On what do you sleep; e.g. futon, standard mattress, straw burlap gunny sack? Miss you Sara! Safe travels -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, no running water, I bet your loving that ;) sounds like quite the adventure! Hope you are adjusting well and having the time of your life. Love you like crazy!

    ReplyDelete